As Christians, our faith is built on the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It’s truly the greatest story ever told! We want our children to learn the Bible truths behind our Easter celebration from a young age.
The five basic Bible verses below can help our children begin to understand the reasons why we celebrate Easter. These would also be great Scriptures to study and memorize as a family.
Amazon affiliate links are included below. I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
1. I Corinthians 15:3,4 “….Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.”
This is one of my favorite passages for children to memorize. It explains the gospel so simply and ties in the important aspect of fulfilled prophecies from the Old Testament.
2. Matthew 28:6 “He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.”
The angels tell the women at the tomb what has happened on that resurrection morning.
3. John 11:25 “Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.”
Jesus tells Martha that not only is He the life but that those who believe in Him can have eternal life.
4. Philippians 2:8 “And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”
This verse addresses the deity and humanity of Christ and His willing sacrifice for us.
5. Romans 10:9 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
Here is another simple explanation of how we can be saved.
I enjoy using the resurrection eggs object lesson with our children’s group at church during the Easter season. You can order a nice set of resurrection eggs and symbols to use at home or in other settings. Alternatively, I’ve just picked up an empty set of plastic eggs from a dollar store. Then I use things I have around the house to illustrate the lesson.
If you’d like to read specific Bible passages related to the season, check out my Easter Scripture Reading for the Family. May we all celebrate Christ’s resurrection with grateful hearts this Easter!