Welcome to Girls to Grow today! It’s the last Wednesday in August…which means I want to believe that when September arrives, fall weather will come with it. However, I’ve lived here in South Carolina long enough to know better! 🙂
I did buy a new sweater last week, but it will likely be November before it actually gets worn. I’ve noticed, though, that the days are starting to get shorter, so I plan to enjoy the rest of summer while it lasts.
We all have dark days, whether they’re for a brief time or through a longer season. Financial difficulties, illness, death of a friend or family member, career struggles – no matter what form they take, these trials can make us feel as if the darkness is surrounding us.
If you’re in one of those times today, here’s a verse that I hope will encourage you.
“For thou art my lamp, O Lord: and the Lord will lighten my darkness.” ~ II Samuel 22:29
When the darkness comes, we’re not alone. No matter how dark it seems, God is with us. Just knowing that He walks with us through our troubles can make the darkness feel less overwhelming.
What else does light bring us? Here are five ideas.
- Light illuminates the path. Once we have light, we can see which way to go. Psalm 37:23 says, “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.” Letting God’s light shine into our situation can help us know how to proceed. Psalm 119:105 tells us that God’s Word is a lamp for our feet and a light for our path. Reading and studying our Bible will help us see the way to go.
- Light removes the fear of the unknown. When you can see what’s around you, you’re not as scared. A verse that comforts me in times of uncertainty is Psalm 112:7, which says of the righteous, “He shall not be afraid of evil tidings; his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord.” I don’t have to be afraid of the unknown if I’m trusting God to take care of me.
- Light brings comfort. If you’ve ever had a child (or been one!) who’s afraid of the dark, you know how comforting it can be to see a little night light shining in the darkness. God is called “the God of all comfort” in II Corinthians 1:3 and He is able to comfort us at every step.
- Light reveals imperfections. When the light of the Lord shines on us, we can see how much we need Him. Through His Word and His Holy Spirit, He reveals our sin and our weakness. As we acknowledge them, God can show us Himself and His ability to meet our every need.
- Light leads us to our ultimate desination. I think of being lost outside on a cold, dark, wintry night. Just when I feel like giving up, I see a light in the distance. That light gives me hope to keep going, trusting that there’s warmth and something hot to eat and drink where I’m headed! In the same way, we may struggle along here in the darkness of the world, but as Christians, we have a home in Heaven where the light of our Savior always shines!
If you’re going through a dark day, I pray that you will let the Lord shine into your darkness!