How often do you take time to just praise the Lord? I find when I ask myself that question that the answer is “Not enough.”
Yes, I add to my written “gratitude list” regularly. I try to remember to thank God when I see a prayer answered in my life. But sometimes I find that I’m still in the spotlight at those times – whereas if I’m praising God, then all the focus is on Him.
Praising God can take the form of music, which is uplifting and ministers to my soul. Meditating on words from the Bible that give praise to God also encourages my heart.
Here I’ve gathered ten passages that are centered on praise. I didn’t type out the entire passage, but included a verse(s) that I particularly like. Many of the selections below contain praise to God for the works He has done as well as praise for His attributes, Who He is. I hope to keep that same twofold focus as I offer my own praise to God.
1. Exodus 15:1-19 Here Moses recounts God’s victory over the Egyptians at the Red Sea.
The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him. [verse 2]
2. I Samuel 2:1-10 Hannah praises God after the birth of her son Samuel.
There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God. [verse 2]
3. II Samuel 22 David is the author of so many praise passages! Could his emphasis on praise be one of the reasons David was called a man after God’s own heart? (I Samuel 13:14, Acts 13:22) Here he is praising God for delivering him from his enemies, including King Saul.
As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. For who is God, save the Lord? and who is a rock, save our God? God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect. He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet: and setteth me upon my high places. [verses 31-34]
4. I Chronicles 16:7-36 Celebrate with David as the ark of the covenant returns to Jerusalem.
Sing unto the Lord, all the earth; shew forth from day to day his salvation. Declare his glory among the heathen; his marvellous works among all nations. For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised: he also is to be feared above all gods. [verses 23-25]
5. I Chronicles 29:10-20 David speaks to the people about his son Solomon becoming king, and the temple he will build for God.
Thine, O Lord is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name. [verses 11-13]
6. Psalm 103 I love that the Hebrew word for “Psalms” is “Praises.” Here’s a psalm of David.
Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: [verses 1-2]
7. Psalm 145 At one point, I wrote a post about this being my favorite praise passage.
I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever. Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable. [verses 1-3]
8. Isaiah 25:1-9 And when it comes to favorites, Isaiah’s the prophet I most like to read.
O Lord, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth. [verse 1]
9. Luke 1:46-55 Mary’s Magnificat, or hymn of praise
And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. [verses 46-47]
10. Revelation 5:8-14 This scene is set in heaven. Yet another reason to spend time praising God here, to get ready for doing it in eternity!
Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. [verse 12]
Are there are other Bible passages that you use to praise God? I’d also like to gather a list of hymns that praise God, so let me know if you have a favorite one of those as well!