As a young mom, I occasionally heard older parents discuss the difficulties of parenting teenagers. Now that I have two teenagers, I will agree that these years have their own set of challenges. However, I’ve also found that there are many delightful aspects of raising teenagers!
Here are ten of my favorite things about having teenage daughters.
1. Having in-house fashion advisers. My daughters are good about letting me know which outfits are winners and which ones need a little help.
2. Getting to know their friends. Both of my girls are blessed with some spirited, delightful friends and I enjoy interacting with them.
3. Their enthusiasm for life. They get excited about things like dressing up in school colors for spirit week. They are still full of hope and adventure, novices at life with so much potential and possibility ahead of them.
4. Traveling together. Our girls pack their own suitcases, plan their own entertainment for the trip, and manage their backseat experience themselves.
5. Seeing them build relationships with other adults. There are certain teachers that my girls really enjoy and I appreciate the time these adults invest in our daughters. Not long ago, I was in a restaurant with my girls and some friends when one of their teachers walked in. They were so excited to go over and talk to him in an outside-of-the-classroom environment!
6. Watching them develop individual interests. Our younger daughter started cheerleading at school this year That’s not something I would have pictured one of my daughters doing, but she has thoroughly enjoyed it! It’s fun to see them increase in their abilities and try new things.
7. Listening to them begin to think through their faith. A couple of times recently, we’ve had some interesting talks after supper about issues our children have discussed in their classes. It’s a privilege and a great responsibility to begin to guide them in their own spiritual walk.
8. Supporting them in their chosen activities. Whether it’s cheering them on in basketball, cheerleading, or at a fine arts competition, it’s a lot of fun to be there encouraging our daughters.
9. Their help around the house. When I need their help, they can step up to the plate and vacuum, clean a bathroom, or finish putting together a meal for me.
10. Watching movies together. They’re old enough now to enjoy many of the movies my husband and I do, so it’s fun to watch and discuss these movies together.
These are some great years of parenting! I’m trying to treasure each of these moments as I know they’ll pass too quickly.
What’s something you love about the stage your child is in?
Sign up below to receive new posts by email.