“Being responsible for someone’s childhood is a big deal. We not only create our own memories, but we create our child’s memories.” ~ Rachel Macy Stafford in Hands Free Mama
When my two brothers, my sister, and I are together, we often talk about our childhood memories. A few of the stories are famous – like the time we couldn’t find one of my brothers because he was under my bed consuming the chocolate bars I’d brought home for a school fundraiser!
I truly believe that making memories with our children doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive, especially when they are young. Listed below are 25 activities you can do with your children to make moments that you’ll both remember.
1. Color a picture.
3. Read a book.
4. Play “pretend” – be a cowboy, a princess, a lion tamer.
5. Line up chairs, ottomans, benches, and play train.
6. Put a puzzle together.
7. Wash something outside with a water hose.
8. Throw a ball.
9. Take a walk.
10. Blow soap bubbles.
11. Make a tent in the living room with blankets and chairs.
12. Have a picnic – indoors or outside.
13. Plant flower seeds or vegetable seedlings, in a container or in the ground.
14. Sing children’s songs out loud while driving in the car.
16. Play hide-and-go-seek.
17. Draw pictures for elderly relatives or friends and mail them.
18. Put favorite drinks in special mugs and sip them slowly.
19. Snuggle at bedtime.
20. Hide small treats and have a treasure hunt around the house or in the yard.
21. Make chalk drawings on the sidewalk or driveway.
22. Make a video of your child being silly and let them watch it repeatedly.
23. Have a “gentle” pillow fight.
24. Sit outside at night and stargaze.
25. Build with blocks.
What other ideas do you for making memories with your children?
I like playing games with my children, and that's one of my favorite memories: of my father and me playing games. And reading books.
I agree – the simple things are often the most precious!!!
aurie good says
I love the *gentle* pillow fight 🙂 I don't know if the girls can do that! LOL!! What a fantastic list!