We’re halfway through the week and I’m wondering how you’re doing post-daylight-saving time! I REALLY miss the light in the mornings. It just seemed to make getting up and starting the day easier. However, I know I’ll come to appreciate having more light at the end of the day.
So how’s your praise life right now? This month we’re talking about praising God here on the blog. Deciding to write about this subject each week is helping me to focus on it more – which is a good thing!
Last week we studied three Bible women to see what we could learn from them about praising God. Today we’re looking to the Psalms for simple verses we can use to inspire us when we want to praise God. Whether it’s praising Him or praying to Him, it’s always helpful to go directly to His Word for guidance.
1.Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. ~Psalm 103:1
What if we made a list of the names of God and praised Him for one of them each day? From Genesis 1 where we see Him as Creator to Revelation 22 where He is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, we could spend weeks praising His names.
2. I will praise thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvelous works. ~Psalm 9:1
Let’s not hold back any part of ourselves from praising God! What a blessing if we have no sin affecting our fellowship with Him, but are wholly intent on giving Him glory.
3. I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever. ~Psalm 145:1
This relates to the one above, because the word “extol” means to praise enthusiastically! We can be enthusiastic about a lot of things – our favorite sports team, a fabulous restaurant, or a new sofa. How wonderful if we can show that same energy and excitement about praising God.
4. Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments. ~Psalm 119:164
I love that David is so specific in this verse! He praises God seven times a day. Why? Because of God’s righteous judgments. In our current world, laws aren’t always enforced fairly and morally, so praise God that He always judges rightly!
And don’t miss that “seven times a day.” More than a number, let’s just remember to cultivate praise throughout our day. Remember – it helps us have a better attitude!
5. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable. ~Psalm 145:3
Even though, with our finite minds, we can’t truly understand how great our God is, we can praise Him for His immeasurable power, majesty, and glory.
6. Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. ~Psalm 150:2
Praise God for His miracles. There are many that we read about in the Bible; we can praise Him for the encouragement we find there for our own lives. And then as He shows Himself mighty in situations we face, we can offer thanks and glory to Him for how He worked.
7. I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. ~Psalm 69:30
Praise and gratitude go hand in hand. Say out loud to God three things you’re thankful for every day.
8. I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel. ~Psalm 71:22
Sing your praise! You can do it all by yourself in the car or on your couch. Or do it as you sing hymns in church with fellow Christians or at home with your family. And if you play a musical instrument, use that as a way to praise God.
9. My lips shall utter praise, when thou hast taught me thy statutes. ~Psalm 119:171
Praise God for the truth of His Word. Thank God that we can get to know Him through what He reveals to us in the Bible. We can always count on it to give us wisdom, guidance and comfort. His Word never fails!
10. But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more. ~Psalm 71:14
We can praise God for the future because we see how He’s been faithful in the past. Our God can always be trusted to do what’s right, so we can praise Him for the outcome – no matter the situation – even before we know what it will be.
I hope these verses help you begin to praise God in some different ways. Let me know if you have other Bible verses that inspire you to praise Him!
- 5 Bible Verses to Encourage You in Your Prayer Life
- 10 Bible Verses for Teens to Memorize
- 10 Things We Can Know About God’s Goodness