This week there have been scenes that made my heart melt, that trickled my emotions right down my cheek.
Standing in church on Sunday night, singing a hymn, glimpsing a dad bending over his young son, pointing out each word on the page of the hymn book as we sang.
The dentist telling me my “baby” (at 13) has no more baby teeth….realizing my tooth fairy days are officially over.
My brother texting a picture of his 5-year-old son in a quiet moment, when you wonder what he’s thinking and what wonderful plans God has for his future.
Seeing my 15-year-old, confidently dealing with the nurse and the doctor at her sports physical, realizing how quickly I’m working myself out of a job.
Sitting in the school parking lot, seeing a sweet 7th grade girl head to her dad for a hug when he arrives to pick her up.
Hopes and heartaches shared with mom friends as we sit at soccer games and basketball practices, wanting all that is best for our children, and knowing there’s so much of it they’ll have to figure out on their own.
Parenting moments shift from highs to lows almost as quickly as a teenage girl’s mood swings. Sometimes celebrating the little things is a big deal. So I challenge all of us to find something to celebrate today about the season we’re in. Here are ten ideas that come to mind.
1. A hug before school
2. Singing along to a song together in the car
3. A chore done side by side – setting the table, cleaning out the dishwasher, cooking supper
4. Reading a book aloud, snuggled together on the couch
5. Saying “I’m proud of you for….”
6. A joke – or anything funny – you can laugh about together
7. Praying together, before a meal, about a struggle, at bedtime
8. A meal shared as a family, in spite of spilled drinks and bad table manners
9. The sound of our child’s voice saying “Mom” or “Dad”
10. A child’s peaceful breathing as she sleeps in her bed after a long, hard day
“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:” ~Ecclesiastes 3:1
What can you celebrate about your season today?
Sign up below to receive new posts by email.