I’ve enjoyed reading aloud to our daughters since before they were born. In those nearly thirteen years, we’ve read quite a few books! Even as an adult, I still love the sweet simplicity and compelling storytelling of children’s books.
For me, choosing favorite books is almost like being asked to name which of your children you love the most! So many books have made me laugh and cry as I read them aloud to my girls. Many on the list below are those that I read over and over again myself as a child.
So after much deliberation and in no particular order, here are my top ten favorites to read aloud as a family. (Amazon links included in this post are affiliate links.)
1. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare (Speare is a favorite author of mine; I enjoyed all of her books.)
2. Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
3. Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White
4. The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
5. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
6. Lassie Come Home by Eric Knight
7. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
8. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Obviously another favorite author)
9. Little Women by Louse May Alcott
10. The Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace (If I had to pick a favorite read aloud series, this would probably be it.)
While my twelve-year-old has recently announced that she prefers to just read the books to herself, I’m still looking for suggestions to read aloud with my younger daughter. Let me know if you have a favorite I haven’t mentioned!