My husband and I spent the first half of last week in St. Augustine, Florida. We explored a few old churches, took a carriage tour of the historic district, browsed in used bookstores, walked through unique stores, discovered gourmet chocolate shops, and ate Kilwins ice cream (more than once). Our favorite find was actually a small restaurant in Jacksonville called The French Pantry; the sandwiches were amazing and the cake we shared for dessert was one of the best I’ve ever eaten.
While we obviously enjoyed our food on the trip, I also had some extra time for reading. Here are the books I read in April, three of which were on my 2013 reading list.
- A Season of Angels by Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer. I’ve always enjoyed the Cape Light and Angel Island novels.
- I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris. A thought-provoking read that challenges the status quo of dating. I plan to read this again in a couple of years and will probably have our daughters read it when they’re older. I’ve also added the follow-up book, Boy Meets Girl, to my reading list.
- The Beautiful Home: Decorating Ideas on a Budget for Your Dream Home by Michelle Stewart (e-book)
- The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee
- How To Be Close To Your Children by Dr. Jeff Fugate
- The Negotiator by Dee Henderson
- Hope for the Weary Mom by Stacey Thacker and Brooke McGothlin
- For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn. This book gave interesting insights into the thought lives of men.
I finished reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson aloud to our daughters. Yet another classic that I never read while growing up, this was an exciting book for all of us. It was on our Read Aloud list for the year.
Have you read any good books lately?
I read I Kissed Dating Goodbye and liked it, but then in college I read Choosing God's Best by Don Raunikar. It really helped me gain a healthy focus on dating and preparing myself to be a godly wife. I highly recommend it! Glad you had a fun vacation!
I am adding Choosing God's Best to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation!
I read I Kissed Dating Goodbye years ago when I was still dating…or not, actually. I thought it was pretty good, and I will probably read it with my children when they're older, MUCH older! I also read the Negotiator and liked it.
We used to live an hour from Jacksonville, so it's a shame that we weren't still there so we might could have met. Wouldn't that have been fun?!
I have the next book in that series from Dee Henderson (after the Negotiator) from the library, so hope to read it soon.
Yes – I would have loved to meet you!! If you ever come through South Carolina, please let me know – and I'll be in touch if we head out to Texas!!
Sounds good! And let me know how you like the next book after the Negotiator.
Mama S says
I read both of the Joshua Harris books, you have listed here, I really like them. And Hope for the weary mom is excellent 🙂
Awww, St. Augustine & The French Pantry sound LOVELY!!!!
Still remembering that delicious lunch….turkey, goat cheese, and pesto on baguette…though the cake was the best!!
Have a wonderful Tuesday!!
Oh, Tracey, what a wonderful getaway. I've always wanted to go to St. Augustine. I'm glad you got to enjoy that time together. And I always enjoy seeing what all you've read. I need to add a couple of those to my reading list.
We were in St. Augustine years ago and enjoyed the opportunity to go back. It was definitely a nice chance for the two of us to spend time together!