Though I don’t always manage to see them, life lessons are all around me. Observing my daughters’ actions and attitudes often shows me ways in which I can grow and improve.
Here are five lessons they’re teaching me this week.
1. Enjoy one thing at a time. The current obsession is Legos; they’ve been building and playing with them in their free time for days. With my need to multi-task, I often miss the opportunity to live fully in the moment.
2. Location is everything. Reading books while snuggling under the covers on Mom and Dad’s unmade bed is much better than sitting on the couch! In the same way, I need to remember to eat lunch outside on occasion or find a new spot to do my ironing.
3. Revel in anticipation. Our daughters get so excited when an American Girl catalog arrives. Our nine-year-old checks the mailbox several times a day when she thinks it might be time for the next one. I believe in the importance of having things in our lives to look forward to; right now, mine is our upcoming family trip to Tennessee!
4. Laughing together feels good. When I can join in their occasional silliness, we all enjoy it!
5. There is sweet reward in a job well done. Today is our last official day of homeschooling for the year. What a sense of satisfaction there is for all of us as they take their final tests and I begin packing away the school books.
I hope our children will learn from me as much as I am learning from them!
Have your children taught you anything lately?
Sign up below to receive new posts by email.