I have always loved the Christmas season. The lights, the decorations, the spirit of giving seem to put me in a happy frame of mind. While the list of things I enjoy about Christmas could certainly be longer, I’ve narrowed it down to my favorite five.
- The music. Admittedly, I like to wait until at least the day after Thanksgiving before I start hearing it, but from then on, I enjoy listening to it wherever I am. From Christmas carols to cartoon songs (like Frosty the Snowman, which has words that I can never remember, no matter how many times I hear it!) to traditional favorites like Carol of the Bells and everything in between (think Christmas in Dixie and Tennessee Christmas), listening to the music of the season is a great way to get into the Christmas spirit. Since I’ve limited myself to five items, I’ll include one of my all-time favorite Christmas specials here, since I like the music in it, too – A Charlie Brown Christmas, “must-see tv” every year!
- The sales. Whether I’m shopping for myself 🙂 or family and friends, I can certainly appreciate the additional coupons, free shipping offers and deeper discounts.
- The food. Ah, if only I had the same metabolism now as I did in my teen years! At every turn, there is a chance to celebrate and most of those festivities involve food. I’m trying to enjoy it by choosing my truly favorite delicacies and partaking of them in smaller portions, while totally bypassing other not-so-healthy choices.
- The family time. As I mentioned previously, we had a wonderful time last Friday night at a musical theatre production of A Christmas Carol. Last night my husband and I enjoyed watching the girls participate in their school Christmas concert and this coming Monday, they will each play a song at their piano recital. While our calendar tends to be full during this month, so many of the events are made special by the fact that we attend them together.
- The meaning. Christmas involves a host of festivities, but those that point us to the birth of Jesus Christ are the most meaningful. The nativity set in our home, the church Christmas program, our reading of Luke chapter two on Christmas Eve, along with other things, keep foremost in our minds the true reason for the season.
Visit Living to Tell the Story to see Favorite Five lists that others have shared.
Sign up below to receive new posts by email.