The sights and sounds of Spring…..
- The sky that lightens a bit earlier each morning behind the tightly shut window blinds
- The pastel colors of young girls’ dresses on Easter Sunday
- The first tinge of green showing through the dull brown soil
- Dust flying from fast-moving rags as spring cleaning gets under way
- A mom, surrounded by boxes, tucking away sweatshirts and jeans, pulling out tank tops and shorts
- The first bouquet of flowers picked for mom by tiny fingers, clutched tightly in a small fist, given a place of honor in a paper-cup vase
- Bright green stalks of asparagus and ripe red strawberries putting in an appearance at the farmers market
- A load of newly washed laundry swinging on a clothesline in the light breeze
- Burst of blooms on a Bradford pear tree
- An elderly lady kneeling in her garden, shovel in hand, dreaming of a bounty of summer produce
- Thick layer of pollen on the hood of the car
- Azaleas in full bloom, glorious to behold
- Neighbors chatting in the yard, catching up on the news after a long winter-induced hibernation
- First crank of the lawnmower for the season
- Soft spring rain, pattering on the windows
- Allergy-induced sneezes
- Soft bleating of a newborn sheep
- Children, released from winter jackets and snowboats, calling to one another as they traverse the neighborhood on shiny new bikes
- The “thwack” of a baseball hitting a glove; the whiff of a bat, just missing contact
- Squeaky windows being pushed open to admit soft, warm spring air
- Water from a hose hitting the roof of the car as it receives a long-awaited bath
- Early morning calls of birds as they greet the morning together
- The long-awaited silence of the heat pump – no heat or air conditioning needed
- The dull thud of a shovel being thrust into the ground, making way for a new rosebush
This is spring, warm and welcoming, a feast for the senses.
There are so many things to celebrate in spring! 😀 It is my favorite season! Thank you for sharing!
Oh you know I’m loving every bit of daylight we’re getting now–I’m soaking up the sun enough to make up for all that darkness of winter.
Love these memories that you brought out. And oh yes, the sound of Spring sneezes. My poor little ones have been sneezing like crazy now for weeks!
I have a flower floating in a water glass that my son picked, too! Very descriptive and thoughtful. It caused me to make my own list:
Dandelion covered lawn in a neighborhood park.
Squeak of the chain that swings my son.
The bugs that run over my printed page.
Well, those all sound negative, but the smell of a real charcoal BBQ in the wind is motivating me.
All lovely stuff! I wish spring would last and last and last… Though part of the pleasure of it is it’s the beginning of the good times – while fall is also lovely, it’s the end!