Late last fall, our daughter called from college with a couple of job options for this coming summer. Both were good opportunities – totally different, but each with its own potential for personal growth as well as benefits for the future.
She had about a month to make her decision. She wanted to pray about it, and also gather more information so she could make an informed choice.
There was really no right or wrong answer. She determined which one she thought would be best for her and we’ll see how it plays out this summer. Regardless, she definitely seems at peace with her decision.
These late teen years bring a lot of decisions. Where to go to college, what career field to study, what job or internship to take for the summer, is this a person I should date – all of those and more face our children during this season.
I recently read Jodie Berndt’s book Praying the Scriptures for Your Adult Children: Trusting God with the Ones You Love. (It’s hard to believe, but I technically already have an adult child, so I’m trying to get on top of things!) The book reminded me of how much I enjoy praying God’s Word over my children.
Since then, I’ve found the verses below that encompass getting God’s direction and guidance. I’m going to keep this list handy to pray for both of my girls. And by the way, you can modify these and use them to pray for direction in areas of your own life, too!
1. Help her to trust in you with all her heart. Don’t let her lean on her own understanding. May she acknowledge you in all her ways, and fully trust in you to direct her paths. [Proverbs 3:5-6]
2. Let her ears hear a word behind her saying ‘This is the way. Walk in it’ when she turns to the right or the left. [Isaiah 30:21]
3. Instruct her and teach her in the way she should go. Guide her with your eye. [Psalm 32:8]
4. As she devises plans for her life, please direct her steps. [Proverbs 16:9]
5. Lord, guide her continually. Satisfy her soul and strengthen her in hard times. Help her to flourish. [Isaiah 58:11]
6. Help her to seek wise, Godly counselors as she makes decisions for her life. [Proverbs 11:14]
7. Order her steps so that you will delight in her way and she will find joy in the journey. When she falls (and she will), uphold her with your hand. [Psalm 37:23]
8. Show her your ways, Lord, and teach her your paths. Lead her in your truth, for you are the God of her salvation. Help her to wait on you. [Psalm 25:4-5]
9. May your word be a lamp to her feet and a light to her path. [Psalm 119:105]
10. God, please equip her for all that you would have her to do in your will. By your grace, work in her life that which is well-pleasing in your sight so that she might always bring glory to you. [Hebrews 13:21]
I’ve prayed for many years that our daughters would make good decisions and wise choices. It’s a comfort to me to pray these verses and seek God’s help for them to do just that!
*This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click on a product link and make a purchase, I receive a small percentage from the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Girls to Grow through your purchases!
- 3 Prayers to Pray As We Learn to Let Go of Our Teenagers
- 4 Bible Verses to Hold on to as We Parent Teenagers
- 7 Lessons Parenting Teaches Us About Ourselves