As Christians, our faith is built on the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It’s the greatest story every told, and we want our children to learn its truths from a young age.
The five basic Bible verses below can help our children begin to understand the reason we celebrate Easter. These would also be great Scriptures to study and memorize as a family.
1. I Corinthians 15:3,4 “….Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.” This is one of my favorite passages for children to memorize. It explains the gospel so simply and ties in the important aspect of fulfilled prophecies from the Old Testament.
2. Matthew 28:6 “He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.” The angels tell the women at the tomb what has happened on that resurrection morning.
3. John 11:25 “Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.” Jesus tells Martha that not only is He the life, but that those who believe on Him can have eternal life.
4. Philippians 2:8 “And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.” This verse addresses the deity and humanity of Christ and His willing sacrifice for us.
5. Romans 10:9 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” Another simple explanation of how we can be saved.
I enjoy using the resurrection eggs (another version) with my AWANA group on a Wednesday night during the Easter season. You can also check out my Easter Scripture Reading for the Family if you’d like to read specific passages related to the season.
If you’d like to receive new posts from Girls to Grow by email, sign up here.