Elisabeth Elliot passed away on Monday.
As I’m sure is the case with many Christian women, I’ve been inspired by her testimony. I’ve read many of her books including Through Gates of Splendor, Let Me Be a Woman, Passion and Purity, and The Shaping of a Christian Family. I read her YWAM biography to my daughters.
I occasionally heard her on the radio and always appreciated the wisdom she shared. Here are five of my favorite Elisabeth Elliot quotes.
- “The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of
Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian makes me a different kind
- “Restlessness and impatience change nothing except our peace and joy.
Peace does not dwell in outward things, but in the heart prepared to
wait trustfully and quietly on Him who has all things safely in His
- “God never withholds from His child that which His love and wisdom call
good. God’s refusals are always merciful — “severe mercies” at times
but mercies all the same. God never denies us our hearts desire except
to give us something better.”
- “God has promised to supply our needs. What we don’t have now we don’t need now.”
- “Teach me to treat all that comes to me with peace of soul and with firm conviction that Your will governs all.”
I’m sure it was a joyous time as she met face to face the Savior that she served so well! May we live in such a way that we, too, will please the Lord and leave a testimony to encourage others.