What are you afraid of?
We know that God doesn’t want us to live in fear (2 Timothy 1:7), but sometimes the problems of life and uncertainties about the future try to steal the peace that God wants us to have.
Dwelling on Scripture is one way to overcome my fears. Below I’ve listed some fears that I face from time to time along with Bible verses that offer comfort in these areas.
1. Parenting poorly. “Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.” Proverbs 29:17 What encouragement for me to teach and train my daughters to follow the ways of the Lord. Children have a free will and make their own choices, but I can cover them in prayer, asking for God’s grace to lead them in the way He would have for them to go.
2. Old age. “….even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry
you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver
you.” Isaiah 46:4
3. Lacking what I need. “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.” Psalm 37:25
4. Prolonged illness. “He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.” Isaiah 40:29
5. Financial difficulties. “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
6. Inadequacy. “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is
made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in
my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” II Corinthians 12:9
7. Physical safety. “The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD.” Proverbs 21:31
8. Failure. “If God be for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31 Also, “Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.” I Thessalonians 4:24 If God has called us to a certain task, He will help us complete it.
9. Being alone. “….for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” Hebrews 13:5
10. Uncertain future. “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD,
thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” Jeremiah 29:11
11. Death. “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me….” Psalm 23:4
No matter what your fear is, God can overcome it. “I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.” Psalm 34:4.
What Bible verse do you turn to when you’re afraid?