“Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” ~Psalm 103:2-5
I don’t know if this is age-related or not, but I have difficulty remembering things.
What was I supposed to buy at the grocery store? Who has a dentist appointment on Thursday? Where did I put that piece of paper I needed to save?
Yet when it comes to praising God, I want to remember all that He has done for me. The passage above lists at least five benefits that God gives to His children.
1. He forgives all of my sins. I’m awed when I think of Him just forgiving the sins I committed last week! To think of God forgiving all the sins of my entire life is simply overwhelming.
2. He heals our diseases. When we pray to the Great Physician, He hears us and is capable of healing us of any sickness – and often, He does. Will He choose to heal us in the way we wish every time? No. But whether or not we have relief today, we know that one day, we will be healed forever.
3. He redeems my life from destruction. I certainly believe this is true through salvation; when I accept Jesus as my Savior, He provides me with eternal life in Heaven. However, I also believe He delivers me from destruction in the here and now. As I follow His Word and the leading of the Holy Spirit, I can be kept from many situations that would cause me harm.
4. He crowns me with loving-kindness and mercy. God’s mercy and grace are ornaments placed upon me. His love for me is constant and never changing.
5. He satisfies my mouth with good things. Don’t we have a great God who gives us abundantly above all that we need and grants so many of our “wants,” too?! I am satisfied and fulfilled when I accept the precious gifts that come from Him and I can know that He is always working for my good.
No matter the size of your 401(k), you can rejoice in these benefits – and many more – when you know Christ!