January 23rd is National Pie Day and we’ll be celebrating it as our fun homeschool day for the month.
(We will actually be doing this on Friday instead of Thursday. My daughters have their homeschool co-op classes on Thursday and we are out of the house most of the day.)
Pie is one of my favorite foods, so it’s not hard to get me excited about celebrating it! Here are some pie day ideas we’ll be using.
1. Pie for breakfast. We’ll be eating my Quick and Easy Quiche. Since my girls aren’t crazy about eggs, I think I’ll also put together a few of these Mini Fruit Pies the night before and just bake everything in the morning.
2. Pie for lunch. This will be pizza (pie) of course! We’ll do homemade pizza with toppings.
3. Pie for supper. Chicken Pot Pie will be our supper. Other ideas would be Shepherd’s Pie, Tomato Pie, Spaghetti Pie, or Taco Pie.
4. Pie for dessert. Why have one pie when you can make two? I’ll try Ukrops Chocolate Chess Pie for my girls and Peanut Butter Pie for my husband and I. These recipes are new to me, but I’ll let you know how they turn out.
I’ve also found a few ways to celebrate pie day that don’t involve food! I look for art projects that are simple to do, use objects I likely already have around the house, and are limited in their mess-making ability. (I will admit that I’m not always the “fun mom” in that respect!) I think that these Pie Art Projects fit the bill.
5. One of the toddlers in our church nursery had me read Pie In the Sky to him every time I volunteered in his class. (I haven’t seen the book lately, so I’m wondering if we wore it out!) Here’s a Paper Plate Cherry Pie project that corresponds with that cute story.
6. This No Bake Apple Pie project would be easy to do with children of any age.
7. Kids would enjoy using shaving cream for this Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream project!
8. Here’s a Kid’s Craft with a Pie Pan and Crayons.
9. If you save those aluminum pie pans, you could try Pie Pan Printmaking.
In case you need more pie inspiration, here are some other pie recipes that I’ve shared in the past.
Do you have any ideas for how to celebrate pie day?
[For those of you who subscribe to my blog by e-mail, look for my first-ever newsletter in your inbox tomorrow morning! I’m sharing a few helpful Bible verses on trust, muffin recipes, and 5 of my favorite things for this month. If you’re not subscribed yet, you can do so by typing your e-mail address in the box at the top of the sidebar on the right and click “subscribe.”]