Did you have a hero – or heroine – when you were growing up?
I think it’s often natural for children to look up to other people for one reason or another. Perhaps it’s the way someone looks or the talent they display in a particular field. I want my girls’ lives to include those who will be an encouragement and role model for them as they grow and mature.
Of course we must teach our children that only God is perfect. We are not to put our trust in men, as they will fail us. Christ alone lived a perfectly sinless life. However, there are those who have walked – or are now walking – the Christian path and by their character, testimony, sacrifice, etc., can serve as examples for others.
So where can we find good role models for our children? Here are a few ideas.
- Family and Friends. I am blessed to have parents and siblings who are saved and serving the Lord. Both my husband and I are from Christian families and many of them set a good example for our girls.
- Teachers and Coaches. Sunday School teachers, youth group leaders, and coaches can have a positive impact on the lives of our children.
- Fellow Church Members. There are many who serve faithfully in our churches. It can be a blessing to visit some of the older people in their homes; they love to share stories from their past!
- Historical Figures. Read books about past church leaders and missionaries. You can also find leaders in our country’s history who were Christian men and women of great character.
- Fictional Characters. A character in a book can stimulate enlightening discussions about morals and right living.
Do you have other ideas of those who would make good role models for our children?