Sometimes we could all use a dash of encouragement, even “little people” like our children! Here are thirteen ideas to help make their day just a little brighter.
- Tuck a note into their lunchbox or book bag. Write a sweet thought or a short joke to make them smile.
- Give them a big hug for no particular reason at all.
- When you part in the morning, tell them that you will be praying for them today.
- Put a small treat on their bed for them to find when they get home in the afternoon
- Smile at them often.
- Make eye contact and truly listen when your child is telling you something.
- When they have completed a task well, praise them.
- While they are close by, relate to someone else something good that your child has done.
- If you see them struggling with a task, offer your help.
- Watch for an area in their character where you see growth and spend a few minutes communicating to them how proud you are of how they’re maturing.
- Willingly do something they ask you to do – stop working and play a game, help them find a lost item, etc.
- Allow them to help you with a project you’re working on that they’re interested in – cooking, cleaning, scrapbooking, or other chores or hobbies.
- Every so often, allow them a special privilege, such as staying up late, having two helpings of dessert or taking a day off from chores.
This post was originally published on October 15, 2009.