While I spend my days surrounded by paper dolls and dress-up clothes, many of you are stepping over Matchbox cars and corralling Legos.
Today I want to offer my gratitude to each of you mothers who are raising her sons to….
- hold the door open for girls and ladies
- speak kindly to girls, not ridiculing or name calling
- be gentle with girls, especially physically
- allow a girl to go first
- help a lady with a heavy load
- refrain from using words or gestures that might be offensive to a lady
- protect a girl from danger
It can’t be easy, this often counter-cultural attitude. But a boy can love digging in the mud, playing baseball with his friends, and hunting with his dad, yet still know how to treat a girl.
So thank you, my friend, for rearing a gentleman. I will do my best to rear a lady who will be worthy of his attention.