Since I want our girls to be comfortable in the kitchen as they get older, I know that I need to involve them more in the preparation of our meals. Therefore, I’ve decided to schedule once-a-month “cooking classes.” While both girls have helped with some of these tasks before, I want them to master these techniques. Since January is almost over, we will be tackling one of these in the next few days!
1. Peel, chop, and roast potatoes.
2. Prepare pasta and sauce for homemade macaroni and cheese. (This includes a basic white sauce.)
3. Make and bake homemade bread.
4. Scramble eggs.
5. Brown ground meat.
6. Independently follow a recipe to make chocolate chip cookies.
7. Prep all vegetables for a salad.
8. Peel and slice apples and prepare filling for an apple pie.
9. Help make homemade chicken broth in the slow cooker.
10. Cook grilled cheese sandwich in the frying pan.
11. Soak and boil dry beans.
12. Prepare and serve one of their favorite meals, Cajun Chicken Pasta.
Do your children enjoy helping in the kitchen? What other skills would you suggest adding to the list?