An important aspect of teaching our daughters about true love is modeling a Christian marriage for them. As I nurture my relationship with my husband, I hope to set an example of love and commitment that they can follow in their own future marriages.
Here are seven ideas of simple things we as wives can do to show our love to our husbands.
1. Pray for him. We know our husband better than anyone else does – the areas in which he struggles, the decisions he’s facing, the dreams and goals he has. What better way to help and serve our husbands than by taking these things to the throne of grace and uplifting him in prayer.
2. Tell him. Every day give verbal affirmation to your husband of your love for him. Thank him for the things he provides for your family and let him know that you are proud of him.
3. Write notes. Put a “love note” in his lunch or his pants pocket so that he will find it during the day or attach a sticky note to the bathroom mirror. Send him a quick e-mail at work just to let him know you are thinking about him.
4. Greet him happily when he comes home at the end of the day. Don’t make him delve into deep conversation right away; save any necessary discussions for later in the evening.
5. Do the little things without being asked. If you know he needs a shirt ironed, have it ready for him. See what you can provide that he might need to get through his day.
6. Be interested in his interests. Try to learn a little about his favorite sport or hobby so that you can talk intelligently with him about it.
7. Let him be himself. Don’t compare him to others. Don’t ask him to do things you know he won’t enjoy or put him in situations you know will make him uncomfortable.
I always feel like I could do so much better in encouraging my husband and showing my love and support for him. Just posting this list challenges me in this are!
How do you encourage your husband? I’d love to hear your ideas!