Having two daughters means that I get to experience the fun playtime activities that I enjoyed as a child all over again! Being just a “grown-up girl” myself, it has been easy to come up with ideas for entertaining our children. Here are some of our favorite things to do.
1) Have a tea party. We pull out one of our tea sets (the Belle Princess teapot is a favorite since it makes noise), set and decorate the table, fill the various cups and pitchers with water or juice, eat small crackers and/or fruit for our snack, and invite a host of dolls or stuffed animals to be our guests. We have held these parties inside at a table as well as outside on a blanket.
2) Dress-up. A large basket in the playroom holds shoes, hats, purses, scarves, jewelry, and anything else that can be “imagined” into an elegant outfit. We do own several princess dress-up dresses along with some fancy nightgowns I bought on clearance at Target.
3) Play with baby dolls. We have a variety of dolls, from Cabbage Patch to dollar store to Our Generation. I saved a few of the girls’ actual baby things like blankets, socks, bibs, baby spoons, and cups to use with the baby dolls. We also have some clothes, baby carriers, and strollers to use if we want to take the babies on an outing!
4) Paper dolls. We’ve collected an assortment of paper dolls, including those from Little House on the Prairie, Madeline, Felicity from American Girl, and several collections of magnetic paper dolls. In spite of this, one of the girls’ favorite pastimes lately is cutting the pictures of the dolls out of the free American Girl catalogs we get in the mail and using them as paper dolls. That’s cheap entertainment!
5) Play house. Now that my girls can do real chores around the house and actually help me bake in the kitchen, we don’t do this quite as often. However, they’ve enjoyed cooking with their little kitchen set and making a meal for us, or using a little broom and dustpan, pretending to help clean up around the house.
I’m a bit sad to realize that my girls are now outgrowing some of these activities. Let me know how you and your daughter(s) like to spend your playtime!