For the last few mornings, I’ve felt that I could have won the “Grumpy Mom” award. It seems that I am so focused on getting everyone up and dressed, breakfast on the table, lunches packed and all of us out of the door on time, that I am short-tempered and joyless. I decided yesterday that I needed to evaluate what was causing this and see if I could remedy the situation. Here’s what I came up with.
- Go to bed on time. I may as well begin with a difficult one! I will feel more rested if I make myself go to bed at 10:00 P.M.
- Get up on time. I am normally a morning person and get out of bed right when my alarm goes off, but I have been struggling with that lately (maybe due to not following number 1).
- Make time for prayer and Bible reading before everyone else is up. Some mornings allow more time for this than others (see number 2), but I need to spend a few minutes getting myself in tune with God before dealing with others.
- Do as much as possible for preparing breakfast and packing lunches the night before. Again, this is something that I already practice to an extent, but I think if I will do even more in this area (like having breakfast ingredients out on the counter and setting the table), it will help me get a better start.
- Set a positive tone by turning on some music. This will be a new habit for me to form, but I hope to start working on it.
- Start each girls’ day with a smile and a hug. Let their first image of me be a happy one. My husband might enjoy this, too!
- Relax!! Which is worse – having the girls occasionally be tardy to school or letting them only recall memories of their mother pushing them out the door and into the car every morning?
I started on some of these ideas today and things went a bit better. (I’ll confess – it helped that the girls were using their one day a month to buy lunch, so I only had to pack it for my husband!) How do you get your day started smoothly and joyfully? I’ll take all the help I can get!!This post is linked to What I Learned This Week hosted by Musings of a Housewife.photo courtesy public domain pictures