While discussing the way we maintain our appearance may seem a strange topic for Mannerly Monday, I do think we reflect our courtesy toward others when we use some time to make sure we are neat and orderly in how we dress and take care of ourselves. These are obviously basic skills for most of us, but we should still make sure we help our children learn how to do these things properly.
- Bathe frequently, using soap and water to clean your entire body. Wash your face each morning after getting up and anytime during the day that it gets dirty.
- Wash your hands after playing outside, before eating and anytime you have been in contact with a large number of people.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, usually in the morning and before bed, and keep your breath fresh.
- Have your hair neatly trimmed and out of your eyes.
- Keep fingernails and toenails clean and trim them regularly.
- Refrain from picking at your fingernails, ears, nose, etc. when around other people.
- Keep your posture erect, standing up straight and sitting properly in your seat.
- Dress in clothes that are clean and not torn or holey. Learn to match tops and bottoms, as well as socks and other accessories, always selecting clothing that is appropriate for what you will be doing that day.
Teaching our children the skills they need for maintaining a pleasant appearance will help them feel comfortable and confident as they interact with others. Please share in the comments section if you have other ideas along these lines.photo courtesy morguefile