Since I am the mom of two girls, many of my posts are written from the perspective of rearing daughters. However, I thought we’d use this Mannerly Monday to look at manners we can teach young boys that will help them grow up to be true gentlemen.
- If you are approaching a door with a lady, open the door for her and allow her to go through first. This could apply to opening a car door for her as well.
- When you are with a lady, assist her in removing or putting on her coat or jacket.
- Seat ladies at a table first, then take a seat yourself. In a situation where there are not enough seats for everyone present, always give your seat up for a lady.
- If a lady is carrying something heavy, offer to carry it for her. If she drops something, pick it up.
- Always treat a woman or young lady with respect and purity in your thoughts and actions.
- Be aware of any danger that may exist and protect a lady. Walk on the curb side of the road as a courtesy to protect her from traffic and to keep her from getting splashed by puddles. If you are escorting a lady at nighttime, make sure that she makes it safely to her car or home.
It may seem old-fashioned in our day and time for men to exercise these manners, but I hope that there are some parents out there who are bringing their boys up in this way. After all, we’ll need some mannerly young men as suitors for our girls one day!Next Monday, we’ll look at manners specifically for our girls. If you teach your boys certain ways to respect a lady, please share in the comments section.